From FreeSpace Wiki
- Name, meaning and constellation: Alpha Lyrae, Lyra. The original name "Wega", then turned into "Vega", comes from the Arabic word waqi meaning falling, via the phrase النسر الواقع an-nasr al-wāqi‘, which is translated with the falling eagle or the swooping vulture.
- Other name(s) and meaning: Dayan-same (Assyrian for Judge of Heaven), Tir-anna (Akkadian for Life of Heaven), Dilgan (Babylonian name given to many other stars, which means the Messenger of Light), Zhi Nü 織女 (Chinese name), Vultur Cadens (Latin word with the same meaning as Vega).
- Distance from Sol: 25.30 ly, 7.756 pc
- Type of System: Singular
- Color: A0-White Main Sequence
- Right Ascension: 18h 36m 56.332s
- Declination: +38° 47' 1.17"
- The PVD Typhon was first sighted during the "Vega Engagement" during the Terran-Vasudan War, resulting in the destruction of the GTD Eisenhower. The Terran 4th fleet (as described in the Typhon techroom description) was decimated during this engagement.
- Along with Beta Cygni, cited as one of the first systems attacked by the Shivans.
- (25/1/2335) The 3rd fleet (GTA) is reported as having lost the GTD Amadeus in Vega at some point prior to the joint Terra-Vasudan declaration of war on the Shivans.
- (15/2/2335) The Vasudan fleet was decimated by a Hammer of Light attack in Vega. The Vasudan fleet had been massing in Vega for a counterstrike after the initial Shivan attacks while the GTA fortified Antares. The Shivans bypassed both systems and reached Deneb via an uncharted jump node.
- The GTD Bastion was transferred to Vega at some point between FS1 and FS2. Vega remains the 4th Fleet's base.
- The players training missions "take place" in Vega at the beginning of FS2.
- Home of the 4th Fleet in FreeSpace 2
- GTVA refugees were evacuated to Vega and Epsilon Pegasi during the Shivan invasion and subsequent destruction of Capella.
- The Shivans launched a "massive attack" upon the Vega node whilst the Bastion was being deployed in Capella to destroy the Epsilon Pegasi node.
- During the same time period, the GTD Nereid was sent (laden with Meson Bombs) from Vega to destroy the node connection to Capella.
- The Meson Bomb was developed at the Hideki Institute in Vega.
- In FreeSpace 2, Admiral Petrarch transfers the player to the Vega Penal Colony if the player is a traitor.