||Campaign Walkthrough||Next Mission
SILENT THREAT: REBORN MISSION 14
Fighter squadron: 82nd Nighthawks
Description: Our hero responds to a distress signal at the Delta Serpentis node to Beta Aquilae.
The PVD Hope and a Vasudan blockade have called for reinforcements after suffering heavy damage. Alpha and Beta Wings are deployed to find out what happened to the defense force and hold the line against any further aggressors.
You will be piloting a GTF Ulysses with a Prometheus, Leech, and Interceptors. Beta Wing will consist of Hercules, and you will also have Delta and Epsilon Wings consisting of Vasudan fighters.
Defend the Hope at all times. Intercept any bombs that rebel bombers unload but assist your wingmen against the incoming rebel transports and freighters whenever you can. Expect a lot of Elysium and Chronos freighters (you must destroy all of them before even one reaches the jump node). Scan the Atens during pauses. Medical transports will arrive and evacuate whatever crew is still alive. Notice that the hostile bombers will launch new warheads.
If you stay in the area after authorization to leave, you can participate in another battle and get some more kills.
- On almost every occasion possible, tell all fighters to defend the Hope. When the enemy transports run the blockade, instruct all wingmen to "engage the enemy." You must maintain the blockade and ensure no transports escape.
- To clarify the previous point, you receive a medal for maintaining the blockade, but to simply complete the mission and progress through the campaign, this is not required. If you're having trouble doing both, focus on defending the Hope above all.
- Try to keep the friendly Atens alive as much as possible. Even though they may be evacuated by a certain point in the mission, their turrets will still be online to buy you some time and get some pressure off the Hope.
- A shocked Vasudan at one point exclaims: "Someone set up us the bomb." This is a direct reference to a 1991 Sega video game, Zero Wing that is notorious for its poorly translated English version.
- The PVD Hope will be acting very strangely.
We liked the name for this mission so much that we changed the squadron name of the 91st Shadows to the 91st Phantoms so as not to conflict.
Goober5000 22:17, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
Why do you have the GTW Leech Cannon, you may ask? Because we want you to TRY IT at least once in the campaign before passing judgement. Same justification for the GTW Shield Breaker in Blood of the Innocents. We never really found room for the GTM EM Pulse or the GTM Cluster Bomb on scramble missions, though.
Some of the random phrases from the traumatized Vasudans are from enthusiastic forum members for whom English isn't their native language.
Many of the GTI ships attempting to run the blockade are ones you've encountered earlier in the campaign, including the treacherous GTSC Giordano. You'll probably be too busy to get any catharsis, though.
The science cruiser that appears at the end of the mission to scan the derelicts is none other than the GTSC Hinton, later involved in ETAK research with the NTF in FreeSpace 2.
Galemp 22:34, 27 January 2016 (UTC)
Goober5000 05:02, 28 January 2016 (UTC)