Clash of the Titans II
||Campaign Walkthrough||Next Mission
ACT 3, MISSION 9
Fighter squadron: 70th Blue Lions
With the Bastion's protective task force almost completely destroyed, Allied Command orders the 70th to defend the Bastion as it makes its way to destroy the Epsilon Pegasi jump node to Capella.
You have Alpha, Beta, and Gamma Wings (4 fighters each of your own choosing), and Delta Wing (four GVF Taurets), performing heavy intercept. Be advised that only Alpha Wing will be at 100%, Beta 1 and 4 will be heavily damaged when you get on the scene, Gamma 1 and 2 will have less than 40% HP, Gamma 3 and 4 will have around 60 to 80%. Pick fighters that you know which can survive ten minutes of multiple Shivan waves.
Standard procedure in this mission is to use the loadout above, then park next to one of the Aeolus cruisers and blast bombers at long range. This is an effective and tried and true tactic. On higher difficulties, however, the Shivan bombers, especially the Nephilims and Seraphims, will survive several dual Trebuchet hits dead on. For that reason, it may also be advisable to fly intercept in an Erinyes with a UD-8 Kayser and a GTW Subach HL-7. Alternatively, you can try flying a GTF Perseus armed with the GTW UD-8 Kayser and GTM Trebuchet. The speed and agility of the Perseus can serve you well for this mission as well as the next one.
The Shivan bombers will go after the cruisers first, so assign one protection wing for each cruiser if you want. Some of those cruisers will come back in the last mission, if they survive. Also, do not give loadouts to Beta 2 & Beta 3. They will have a reactor core breach at the beginning of the mission, blowing up in the process.
(Objectives are viewable by pressing F4 and going to the Objectives tab)
- Primary Objectives:
- Escort the Bastion to the Epsilon Pegasi node
- This mission was made by James Agay of Volition, and its revision number is 0.10. It was created on June 4, 1999 at 2:59:27 PM and last modified on October 8, 1999 at 10:49:55 AM.
- In pre-3.6.10 versions of FS2_Open, Betas 2 and 3 would be carried over to the next mission, flying Ulysses fighters with over 100% hull integrity, if they are completely removed from the loadout in this mission (i.e. they are not given a ship to fly in).
- The health of the Bastion, Ertanax, Malta, and Templar changes each time you attempt this mission. While the Bastion starts off with a hull integrity between 30-40%, the three Aeolus cruisers start with around 11-24% hull strength. This means that you can increase or decrease the starting hull integrity of these ships by simply restarting the mission.
- Alpha 3 brings up a short history of her grandfather serving on the Bastion during the Great War and dying in Sirius while fighting the SC Tantalus once the whole of Beta wing is destroyed. The Tantalus that appeared during the Great War, however, was a Demon-class destroyer, not a cruiser.
Notable ships present
|File size:||76.6 KB|
|Total number of objects:||59 (+9 waypoints)|
|Total number of wings:||12|
|Number of mission events:||31|
|Number of messages:||26|
|Event music:||1: Genesis|