The GTD Orion was a standard Terran destroyer mainly used during the Terran-Vasudan War, and later in the Great War. Because of the massive size of this ship, it incited fear into civilians, and therefore the Galactic Terran Alliance (GTA) did not send its Orion destroyers outside war zones. It was said that "Where these ships wander, war is certain to follow." (FreeSpace Reference Bible)
After the development of beam weapons and the ushering-in of the Deimos-class corvette and Hecate-class destroyer into service, the Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance (GTVA) began to gradually replace all remaining Orion-class destroyers in service with these new ships.
|The GTD Orion|
FS1 Tech Room Description
The Orion is the capital ship of the GTA. Measuring a frightening 2.1 kilometers in length, the cost to build one of these far outweighs the cost of paying the crew of this ship for 3 years. There is no more important symbol of Terran Pride than a ship like the Galatea or the Intrepid cruising past a colonized planet, patrolling the system and ensuring safety. In the course of the 14 year war, very few of these have ever been lost, making the destruction of an Orion a truly horrible defeat.
FS2 Tech Room Description
For over 30 years, the GTD Orion class was the largest ship in the Terran-Vasudan armada. Over two kilometers in length, bristling with dozens of death-dealing turrets, the Orion is as awesome in repose as it is in battle. All GTVA Orions have been retrofitted with the latest anti-warship beam weapons, as well as flak and AAA turrets for dealing with fighters and bombers. The Orion's cavernous hangar bays easily accommodate more than two dozen fighter or bomber wings.
- See also: GTD Orion-class destroyers
- Note: The Orions that have actually appeared in-mission are bolded. At least one of the FreeSpace 1 ships may not be an Orion, but some other class of GTA destroyer. However, all of the NTF Orions have either appeared in-game or have been shown in a Command Briefing to be an Orion-class, with the exception of the Jacobus.
- GTD Amadeus
- GTD Bastion
- GTD Carthage
- GTD Galatea
- GTD Intrepid
- GTD Krios
- GTD Messana
- GTD Minnow
- GTD Myrmidon
- GTD Nereid
- GTD Soyakaze
- NTD Andronicus
- NTD Cyrene
- NTD Jacobus (possibly)
- NTD Normandy (possibly)
- NTD Repulse
- NTD Uhuru
- NTD Vasa
- NTD Vindicator
In Greek mythology, Orion was a notorious hunter. There are numerous stories about his life.
Orion is also one of the many known large constellations. The constellation is also referred to as "The Hunter."
|Max Velocity||15 ms-1|
|Hitpoints||100 000 pts|
|Fighter Complement||96 - 120|
|FreeSpace 1||FreeSpace 2|
|Turret Type||Amount||Turret Type||Amount|
|Terran Huge Turret||5||Terran Huge Turret||4|
|Terran Turret||11||Terran Turret||3|
|Terran Slashing Beam||3|
|Big Green Beam||3|
|The GTD Orion in FS2_Open 3.6.10|
- $POF File: capital01.pof
- Textures: Capital01-01(a/b/c), Capital01-02(a/b/c), Capital01-03(a/b), Capital01-04(a/b), Capital01-05(a/b), Capital01-06a, Capital01-07a, invisible
- $POF File: capital01.pof
- Textures: capital01-01( /c), capital01-02, capital01-03, capital01-04, capital01-05, capital01-06, getile1, install01-01, damage
|TrashMan's GTD Orion|
- $POF File: Orion_FS1.pof
- Textures: capital01-01(a/c), capital01-02a, capital01-03a, capital01-04a, capital01-05a, capital01-06a, capital01-07a, install01-01a, damage
The anti-fighter defenses of the NTD Repulse in action. (Feint! Parry! Riposte!)
From the Shadow Genesis mod: An Orion stands guard over an orbital installation.
The Carthage fires a beam. From the upcoming War in Heaven release.