From FreeSpace Wiki
- Distance from Sol: 8.554 lyrs, 2.632 par
- Type of System: Binary
- Binary Separation: 2.1-8.8 AU
- Color: M5.5e-Red Dwarf, M6e-Red Dwarf
- Right Ascension: 1h 36m 25s
- Declination: -18Â° 12' 42"
- To be filled in later.
Though this is a double star system, only the primary star is indicated on The Official Volition Node Map.
- Both stars are flare-variant red dwarfs. Therefore it is likely that, even if any planets lay within their narrow habitable zone, any colonies would need significant radiation shielding to protect themselves from the flares.
- Because the system is binary, and the stars come as close as about 2.1 AU to one another, no stable orbits exist past about half an AU from each star. Stable orbits are possible farther out, but not likely given the rather eccentric path of the stars themselves.
- The Luyten system was home to the Luyten New Alliance during the Reconstruction years, indicating the likely presence of colonies in the system.