The mod.ini documentation from wxLauncher's old Google Code wiki (https://code.google.com/p/wxlauncher/wiki/ModIniOptions) is currently being ported to this page. For the old mod.ini page, see here: mod.ini (old)
This page describes all of the mod.ini options available to mod/TC authors. Most options are available to both mods and TCs, with the exception that the skin feature is available to TCs only.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 General notes
- 3 Common sense (aka TLDR)
- 4 Sections
- 4.1 [launcher]
- 4.2 [resolution]
- 4.3 [multimod]
- 4.4 [recommendedlighting]
- 4.5 [skin] (TCs only)
- 5 Samples
First, take a look at the complete mod.ini sample to get a sense of the new mod.ini format's capabilities.
About the old format, there are two important points:
- ALL of the mod.ini settings are OPTIONAL. The only requirement is that the mod.ini file must be present, even if it is blank.
- This format is 100% compatible with the old mod.ini format. Therefore, you can use your existing mod without any changes, as long as the mod has a mod.ini file in its mod folder.
There are several details that should be considered when creating a mod.ini:
- Resource files specified in the mod.ini do not have to be placed in the same folder as the mod.ini itself. They can be in a subfolder instead. Thus you can have a "resources" subfolder in your mod and place all the files there so that they don't clutter your main folder. Separate folders must be specified in the mod.ini using a forward slash (/), as in resources/my_image.png.
- You can add comments to your file by starting lines with a # character. Those lines will be ignored by the launcher when it reads your mod.ini.
- No labels should be left without a value. In other words, all lines in the mod.ini that are not comments or section headers (such as [launcher]) should follow the format label = value.
- Edit your file with a syntax-highlighting capable text editor, such as Notepad++ (Windows), TextWrangler or Aquamacs (OS X), or Scintilla or Gvim/Vim (Linux).
Common sense (aka TLDR)
As noted before, all of the options in the mod.ini are optional. However, as a courtesy for the players, you should include at the very least:
- Mod name (modname)
- Your name (author)
- Mod description (infotext)
- If your mod depends on any mods, list those (secondarylist)
[skin] (TCs only)
Basic mod.ini sample
# Just replace the text in <> with information about your mod # and then put the file in your mod folder. # For more things you can do with a mod.ini file, see # <http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Mod.ini> [launcher] modname = <NameOfYourMod> infotext = <Describe your mod. You can use \n to add line breaks.> author = <YourName> # If your mod requires other mods to run, include this section, # otherwise remove it. [multimod] secondarylist = <ModDependency1>,<ModDependency2>,<etc.>
Complete mod.ini sample
# This is a fully-fledged mod.ini sample using ALL of the options # available to mod/TC authors. Please visit the mod.ini wiki page # to learn about what different options do: # <http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Mod.ini> # # This sample was created for a fictional mod named "The Descent" # for the Babylon Project total conversion. [launcher] modname = The Descent image255x112 = skin/logo.png image182x80 = skin/logo_small.png infotext = The aging behemoth was floating in silence among the stars. An eternity has passed, and the Astrid was still sleeping in the coldness of space. Without warning, her forward thrusters fired with an eerie glow, sending vibrations throughout the ship. Metal screamed in protest, as more thrusters fired, shaking the solar dust of the hull. \n\nThen it was silence again. \n\nNothing appeared to have changed, yet slowly but surely, the destroyer had begun its descent towards Earth. author = kkmic notes = You will need the zathras mod to play this warn = 1 website = http://www.thedescentmod.com forum = http://www.forum.thedescentmod.com bugs = http://www.bugs.thedescentmod.com support = http://www.support.thedescentmod.com [resolution] minhorizontalres = 1024 minverticalres = 768 [recommendedlighting] name = Descent recommended flagset = -ambient_factor 90 -spec_exp 0.7 -spec_tube 1.0 -spec_point 0.7 -spec_static 1.0 -ogl_spec 15 -bloom_intensity 20 [multimod] primarylist = ; secondarylist = zathras; [skin] windowtitle = Astrid CIC windowicon = skin/astrid.png banner = skin/welcome_page_banner.png welcometext = <p><center><b><font size='3'>Welcome to wxLauncher, your one-stop-shop for Freespace 2 and related content</font></b><br><br>If you're new to the Freespace 2 universe, you might want to check out these links first:<br> = <a href='http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page'>FS2 Wiki</a> = <a href='http://www.hard-light.net/forums/'>FS2 Forum</a> = <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSpace_2'>Wikipedia FS2 page</a> = <a href='http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/main_page.php'> Reporting bugs</a> =<br><br>Also, don't forget the help file, there is a nice 'Getting Started' tutorial there.<br></center></p> modimage255x112 = skin/modimage.png modimage182x80 = skin/modimage_small.png iconok = skin/icon_ok.png iconwarn = skin/icon_warn.png iconwarnbig = skin/icon_warn_big.png iconerror = skin/icon_error.png iconinfo = skin/icon_info.png iconinfobig = skin/icon_info_big.png iconhelp = skin/icon_help.png iconhelpbig = skin/icon_help_big.png iconideal = skin/icon_ideal.png newssource = hlp