Joined the FreeSpace scene in April 2012, after I got my new HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. I typically play with either the keyboard, or my old MS SideWinder Precision Pro (though the amount of abuse I gave it during Blue Planet and Inferno will have to make me replace it soon). Other days, I would play with a normal mouse, or even a trackball mouse.
I currently write and update walkthrough pages for the Derelict and Silent Threat: Reborn campaigns.
Mods I Tried Out
- Ancient-Shivan War: Actually a very good campaign. It's a bit challenging, but not ridiculous. I actually noticed a song from the 1994 computer game MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat that was used in it.
- Blue Planet: Age Of Aquarius was one of the best mods I had ever played, mixing a decent story and challenge together. War in Heaven Part One made me go through a crackerjack crack of technical difficulties (thanks to the heavier graphical strains FSOpen 3.6.14 introduces which made the game crash over 50 times on capital ship-intensive or certain scripted events, and I couldn't play it without .14) and I couldn't even enjoy an ounce of the main story because of said difficulties. Federation ships were the best things I've seen so far, with the attention of detail (read: thrusters and weapon bay door animations). The only thing that bothers me is the empty cockpits. When I buy a better laptop or I don't have to deal with 3.6.14's crapshacked tendencies, I can probably give Part One much more deserved respect.
- As of realizing Intel integrated graphics suck (further evidenced by poor handling of water transparency effects in Falcom's Ys Origin), I play War in Heaven in a 4:3 resolution "skewed" to fit widescreen. Should have spent those extra fifty bucks on the laptop with the Phenom/Radeon set...
- Casualties of War: Part 1 was okay, Part 2 has a bunch of riddled messes. Even a blinding white nebula with awful loadouts doesn't help. Practically one of the mods in which you should use the third-person view.
- Derelict: The first mod I've tried after retail FS2.
- The FreeSpace Port and Silent Threat: Reborn
- Just Another Day: The Collector's Edition - Greatest parody ever, well only on the first try. I recommend you at least play the retail FreeSpace 2 campaign first.
- Inferno: Release 1 and Alliance: Relatively unbalanced. Two missions in Release 1 I skipped because they were unplayable (as in, impossible circumstances that even a crazy pilot would not do). Alliance was a bit frustrating, but thankfully they were more or less short-term skirmishes relying on trial and error.
- (NOT) FreeSpace 3: The Search for Bosch: I don't get it. No seriously, I don't. I would rather play FreeSpace: Impossible, a campaign that would be almost literally survivable on a 10% chance.
- Vassago's Dirge: Fun, unique, original, overall a kickass mod.
- Warzone: Meh.