| Previous Mission
||Campaign Walkthrough|| Next Mission
ACT 1, MISSION 7
Fighter squadron: 107th Ravens
Description: The 107th leads a bombing action against the Shivan destroyer Ravana.
The GTVA is losing ground against skirmishes with the new Shivan destroyer, the SD Ravana, in the nebula. The GTD Delacroix and GTC Champion have been destroyed in the attacks, while the remaining warships are damaged. Alpha wing of the 107th Ravens is sortied to destroy the Ravana.
This is, canonically, the first mission in the main campaign that will test your skill in bombing runs against warships. You may encounter problems the first time playing this mission, so watch what you are doing.
When you start the mission, you will have the Ravana, as well as the Khenmu, a Sobek-class corvette, on your escort list. Hit your afterburners, but do not attack the Ravana right at the beginning. There are some Basilisk-class fighters near you. Take them out with your guns. Once they are destroyed, attack the Ravana.
Order your wingmen to disarm her. Target one of the closest subsystems or turrets of the Ravana. Select the first bank of Cyclops torpedoes, wait until your computer acquires a lock, then fire your bombs. If the Ravana fires on you with one of its turrets, press R and hopefully, the attacking turret will be targeted. Switch to your second bank of torpedoes, approach it and fire another salvo. Switch missile banks again as soon as you fired a pair of bombs from that bank. This allows you to fire another bomb salvo immediately, without having to wait for the current missile bank to reload.
While this is very unlikely, the Khenmu will be replaced with the GTCv Yakiba and GTC Heisenberg should it be destroyed. If the Yakiba is destroyed, the GVC Somtus will be deployed.
Once the Ravana is destroyed, or if all four Allied warships are destroyed, you will be ordered to return to base.
- The Khenmu parks itself at one of the Ravana's weak spots. If you desire, you can provide bomber cover for the corvette while it batters the Ravana to destruction with its frontal beams.
- The Ravana has weak spots at the front and the rear, the front because it is guarded only by a few laser turrets, and the rear because it is guarded by a single anti-fighter beam and flak cannon.
- Destroying the Weapons subsystem of the Ravana makes its turrets fire much less accurately.
- Make sure to check your wingmates' armament, as several do not have a full complement of Cyclops torpedoes equipped.
- The Ravana model has a glitch in that some of its turrets can fire through the destroyer, hitting you even if you are supposedly protected by a portion of the Ravana's hull.
- The destruction of the Champion is mentioned only during a failed debrief, not during the mission brief. This is probably a FREDding oversight.
Total number of forces
|File size:||50.0 KB|
|Total number of objects:||33 (+3 waypoints)|
|Total number of wings:||11|
|Number of mission events:||45|
|Number of messages:||161|
|Event music:||2: Exodus|
- 1 This is the lowest number of messages in the main FreeSpace 2 campaign.